Night of Disguise is this Friday at Seattle Art Museum and will be the talk of the town. The exhibition, “Disguise: Masks & Global African Art” is thrilling, engaging, and captivating and this late night event (live performances like you’ve never seen, tours with the artists themselves, art activities to get creative with, and much more) is going to be so inspiring and fun.
Think #SAMRemix for all ages.
It’s free for SAM members and kids 12 and under (be sure to reserve your ticket). If you’re not a member, you can use code twitterdisguise0619 to save $5 on tickets.
Let me know if you’re coming on Friday! I was excited about this event already, but after seeing the show during the press preview I’m truly giddy about it now. Did I mention there will also be dancing (music by DJ Riz)?! I can’t wait to discuss the exhibition and performances with friends afterwards. Saya Woolfalk’s space is completely enchanting, but each room holds its own magic. You won’t want to leave!
We’re open late to kick off SAM’s newest exhibition Disguise: Masks and Global African Art with a full night —for all ages—of live performances, music, art making, and tours featuring the dynamic artists featured in this groundbreaking exhibition.
Experience Disguise in all its forms—a mask, a costume, or just a smile—as artists and community partners transform SAM. Bring your family and friends—the whole community is invited!
- Reifying Desire: Jacolby Satterwhite creates a distorted simulacrum of reality through dance, performance, drawing, and digital media.
- Experience traditional and contemporary pan-African dance styles with Tongo-born dancer, Al’nuzan.
- nGangulero:Alejandro Guzman’s family of sculptures catalyze creative misunderstandings and unexpected exchanges in public spaces.
- Hear spoken word poems form local youth poets exploring themes of identity with Youth Speaks Seattle.
- ChimaTEK Virtual Chimeric Space: Saya Woolfalk’s installation in Disguise gets activated by The Empathics.
- The Kissing Mask:Wura-Natashi Ogunji asks, “Who are you kissing, when you kiss a mask?”
Music by DJ Riz and Brian Tang.
- Disguise in plain sight using cropped facial images and personal flare with artist Tariqa Waters.
- Catch Nollywood movie trailers, the booming cinema industry in Nigeria.
- Create a mask with artist Romson Bustillo that covers your mouth and encourages you to look and listen.
- We all wear masks, whether literal or imaginary. On fabric, respond to Disguise with your experience of wearing a mask with artist Sandra Farmer .
- Disguise Artists SAM Collection Audio Tour: Listen toDisguise artists discuss works in SAM’s collection. See what these contemporary artists have to say about art from other centuries and cultures.
Experience the galleries in new and unexpected ways with tours led by artists in Disguise:
- Jakob Dwight
- Emeka Ogboh
- Brenden Fernandes
- Alejandro Guzman
Tickets required. FREE for SAM members and kids under 12. Members will have access to a special members-only lounge.
Read my pal Jess Estrada’s preview post on FreshJess.com