If you don’t regularly worry where your next meal is coming from, I encourage you to support a local food bank and help others in need. One great way to do this is through an upcoming experience, Seattle magazine’s tasting event Red, White & Brew” 2018 at Seattle Center on Friday, July 27! Proceeds of this event, produced in partnership with Washington State Wine, will go to University District Food Bank.
I’ll be taking my mom to this delicious tasting event, where we will enjoy sips of wine and beer from over SIXTY award-winning wineries and breweries (scroll down for a list!) and bites from a variety of local restaurants.
Pro-tips for this event:
- Eat a little something before. The bites are usually just that – you’ll want some food in your belly so you can enjoy the right amount of sips. I usually bring some nuts or a bar in case I need it (this is, after all, a drink event, not a food event).
- Have your phone charged (hashtag #RWBSea). Snap photos of the wines and beers you love the most so you can find them later (not all events allow for sales onsite)
- Bring a water bottle! Some of these events have great water sponsors, but when they don’t, you’ll be glad you have some with you.
- Bring a bag or purse to keep flyers and any swag you might pick up
- It’s ok to spit (or pour out). These events are about enjoying and discovering great wines and beer. You don’t have to drink the entirety of what’s in your glass. You’ll enjoy the experience more if you pace yourself and delight in the tasting experience
- When talking with a pourer, you can position yourself a bit to the side to allow them to continue to pour to others while they talk with you. Be courteous to other attendees while you learn.
- Wear comfortable shoes. You’ll likely be standing and walking a lot – seating is rare at these types of events
- Treat a friend! Tasting is more fun with a pal. Since this is for a good cause, get a ticket for you and a friend as a way of saying thank you while giving back.
About the event (in their own words):
Join us at Seattle magazine’s tasting event of the summer: Red, White and Brew! Sample from local wineries, breweries and restaurants under the sun at Seattle Center.
Now in its seventh year, the event honors the winning wineries showcased in Seattle magazine’s Washington Wine Awards selected by a panel of the top local sommeliers and wine professionals. Red, White & Brew will also feature the winners from Seattle magazine’s second annual Beer Awards.
*PLUS! Proceeds from the event will go to University District Food Bank. Want even more ways to contribute? Bring a nonperishable food item or make a donation to enter to win the Red, White & Brew prize package with all proceeds going to University District Food Bank!
Ambassador Wines of Washington
Andrew Will Winery
Betz Family Winery
DenHoed Wine Estates
Kevin White Winery
Lauren Ashton Cellars
Long Shadows Vintners
PepperBridge Winery & Amavi Cellars
Savage Grace Wines
Chainline Brewing Company
Elliott Bay Brewing Co.
Icicle Brewing Company
Pike Brewing Company
Seapine Brewing Company
Silver City Brewery
Sumerian Brewing Co.
Two Beers Brewing Co.
Urban Family Brewing