I’ll admit it: I have guilty pleasure TV shows. Grey’s Anatomy and Parenthood were the two main reasons I signed up for Hulu+. I don’t get TV, and I work so many hours a day on my computer, the idea of kicking back to enjoy a “guilty pleasure” show at my desk wasn’t appealing. Enter Hulu+. And my Roku box (which I LOVE).
Once in a blue moon, I like to gather with friends and watch movies from our youth.* On such occasions, we find it fun to throw in fun, festive accents like party favors, costume elements, related games…and sometimes, a drinking game. I came across the drinking game rules that Erin typed up for a special viewing of Robin Hood (Disney’s cartoon version) that she and Paul hosted at their house a while back. Here they are, in case you want to use them. Drink Responsibly**. You can pick from these rules, if you wish – you don’t need to follow them all!
Robin Hood Drinking Game
- When any character says “King Richard”
- When Prince John sucks his thumb
- When a character says “Crimenently”
- When you hear any alliteration (slimy slithery snake, bouncing bumbling bear, etc)
- When anyone says Oo-de-lally – SAY IT BACK – or drink!
- If you spot a continuity error in the film, call it out – everyone ELSE drinks
*Though the movies may be from our “youth and teenage years,” we do not condone underage drinking. Also, please, don’t drink and drive.
**No, “Responsibly” isn’t a liquor name or a specialty cocktail, but I agree with Paul that it should be.
There are some moments in life I find myself searching for quotations online. Sometimes I’ll visit a quote site, other times, I’ll search for quotes under famous authors or philosophers names.
Quotes help me get motivated, connect with others who experience shared emotions, give me new perspectives, inspire me or sometimes simply entertain.
I’ve recently had the desire to start a new personal blog, but have had a tough time deciding on what the subject matter would be. Two requirements would have to be: a subject I’m interested/involved in or knowledgeable about and one that is interesting to readers.
I spend a lot of time thinking about what to focus on.
Here were some of the ideas I came up with:
- An “Auntie” blog to connect with the “Mommy Bloggers” out there? That sounded fun. But I don’t spend every day with my nieces (though of course I’d love to see them more), and I wanted to connect with readers who don’t have kids or friends/siblings with kids. That said, I do love sharing info about family fun events!
- Reviews on movies/TV (mostly Netflix and Hulu+)? Sure I love watching streaming TV, but is a blog dedicated only to that something I could keep up with? And how interesting would it be to read one gal’s 1 to 10 scale reviews (even though you could feel safe in knowing my posts would be spoiler free)? But sometimes, I watch something that inspires me to write.
- Costume and Makeup ideas? It’s true, I go to a lot of themed costumed events throughout the year, but I don’t have the budget or time to spend putting together amazing creations. Though, I do love to share a good makeup/costume tip from time to time!
- Seattle Events? The city I live in is rich with arts, theatre, DJ nights, live music and more. That said, I’d love a blog that would be interesting to read from thousands of miles away. But, there’s so many good things happening around town, I want to get the word out (and review the occasional event, restaurant, happy hour or venue).
- Relationships, Living and Learning? I’m certainly not one to air my emotional “dirty laundry” out on a blog for others to read. That’s not what I mean by “Relationships.” More, I’d like the opportunity to write blog posts reflecting on relationships (romantic or platonic), interpersonal dynamics, tips on living a more happy and abundant existence and elements of interest that make me stop and reflect on the life I live. Having 100% of my posts be along these lines seemed a bit daunting, but I really love the idea of exploring these themes on a public blog.
- Having Fun & Saving Money? On the flip side of events, there’s a lot of fun to be had while saving money. I’m a huge fan of board games, puzzles, scavenger hunts, reading. And who doesn’t like a good deal? This almost won out as the focus of my blog. However…
I took a look at this list and realized, all these interests were just part of a whole that makes up me. I’d already decided to leave the Social Media news to my business blog and give myself a rest in this space, but which of these subjects should I choose.
Then I came across the quote, once again, from Nietzsche: “When one has much to put into them, a day has a hundred pockets.” I realized: I didn’t need to pick just one pocket. I could share the contents of many and create a vibrant blog.
If you’re reading this in the future, I’d love to hear feedback on what type of posts are your favorites, what you’d like to hear more or less of or any other thoughts you have! If you’re reading this closer to my post date, please share with me what subjects interest you the most!